Segway Fun Tours

Click on one of the links below for information on your favorite resort

Mayan Riviera   -   Jamaica   -   Punta Cana   -   Puerto Vallarta   -   Salvador Brazil

Avoid the hassle of slow crowded buses, get inexpensive private transportation in the Mayan Riviera from AGI Tours - Recommended by Palladium Addicts

Cigarettes...

Main Forum

Cigarettes...

Postby Emrod » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:07 am

Hi,
I am making my first visit to the Dominican, from the UK, in 3 weeks! I am so so excited just counting down the days now! I'm wondering if someone could let me know whether you can buy cigarettes at GP, or whether it is better to take them with me from the UK?

Thanks in advance! I've really enjoyed looking through the forum and reading everyone's helpful advice!!
Emrod
Emrod

Re: Cigarettes...

Postby sukie63 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:47 am

I always take mine with me, buy them at your departure airports duty free. That said I usually run out, the resort dose sell but the Cussie shop down the beach is cheaper. They even had some British brands I believe ( dunhill). I have also read on TA that the duty free in the arrivals hall in PC has good prices as well, but I am not sure what brands.
sukie63
Moderator/Palladium Expert

Postby minou » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:43 pm

I am not a smoker now, but I would certainly bring them from home. Duty free is usually cheaper .... however, I will relate my Scotch saga (a couple of years ago). I went into Morrisons (Glasgow) and viewed the Scotch varieties and prices. At duty free (leaving Glasgow) the prices were higher than the prices in Morrisons. So beware ... sometimes the prices at home are better than duty-free, but mostly duty-free is the best place to purchase them.

Dunhill ... I smoked them in my 20's and they were great.

Minou
minou
Destination Expert - Punta Cana

Postby razel1952 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:10 pm

I am also a non-smoker, but I would advise you bring your own from home, simply because I've been told the quality of the tobacco is different, even though they are brand names. They are manufactured in different countries other than the US. Don't know if anyone that smokes can confirm this and has noticed a difference in the taste of the tobacco.
Salt Water Tanks
Treasure Coast Corals, Inc.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Treasure- ... 0541496234
razel1952
Forum Moderator

Postby TeriMD » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:14 pm

Hi, I always bring mine on my carry on. We fly out of the states so not sure if the rule is the same for the UK, but we are allowed one carton (10 packs) per person. I carry them on because it would be my luck an airport worker would take them from my bag.

Leaving tomorrow morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TeriMD

Postby razel1952 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:41 pm

Happy and safe travels to you! Enjoy yourself and please let us know how your vacation went when you return home. :6:
Salt Water Tanks
Treasure Coast Corals, Inc.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Treasure- ... 0541496234
razel1952
Forum Moderator

Postby Emrod » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:05 am

Thank you for your advice! It's very helpful. I am slightly concerned about the construction taking place (TA hasn't informed us that construction is being carried out!), however I won't let it spoil my holiday! Only 15 days to go!! Job for today is to download some books to my kindle and try not to read them before we fly!
Emrod

Postby sukie63 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:49 pm

Have a great trip :1:
sukie63
Moderator/Palladium Expert

Postby KenandPaul » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:32 pm

Have an amazing trip. Hoping you will share your review when you return.

Cheers ken and paul :60:
KenandPaul
Top Ten Poster

Postby Picklepest » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:54 pm

Having been to the Dominican a good few times i have generally found it cheaper to bring duty free cigarettes. The shop on site has local and international brands and Marlboro lites seem to be the most popular brand and last time i was there worked out at £5.50 a pack.Both me and my husband are smokers so make sure we bring ours with us..pending limits which are currently 200 duty free.Enjoy your holiday...we love this place so much we are returning for a 3rd time
Picklepest

Postby shawn321 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:30 am

You can buy smokes from the merchants on the beach at the colourfull
little shacks. was about $35 U.S. a carton.
shawn321
Forum Moderator

Postby JOHNK » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:07 pm

As of last week at the duty free shop the prices were as follows for Marlboro both going in and out of the country
$30us = 1 carton
$57us = 2 cartons
$74 us = 3 cartons
JOHNK

Return to Punta Cana Forum